Tuesday 3 February 2009

Gateway Part Five

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

Gateway Part Five

Kef had been walking for what seemed like several hours, though it was probably closer to twenty minutes.

“Excuse me, sir. City Border Patrol.”

For the second time in a day, Kef was worried that he was about to die. He looked at the man’s badge and saw the name Argyll.

“Do you have clearance to enter the city?”

Kef had the gun deep in his pocket. He was conscious not to fumble for it. Argyll said nothing.

“Where would I get clearance?”

Too easy to give away too much. He was on the floor in seconds. Out of breath, Kef looked up. Argyll was rubbing his fist.

“I’m sorry son, I’ve not done that in a while, but I’m sure you understand.”

It still hurt, no matter how long it’s been, Kef thought, trying to breathe. I deserve this. It’s my own damn stupid fault, he told himself. How could I ever have thought this would be better? No. Kef could not answer that.

That punch was emptiness.

“Come on kid, get up. You need to make it look real.”

Side of the head, near the jaw. Argyll barely flinched.

“Damn it boy, I think you loosened a tooth there... son of a bitch.”

A few seconds more was all Kef would need. I just need to get past him, he said to himself.

“You get clearance from me.”

A few seconds more. Kef was breathing now.

“What?”

“I’ll give you clearance if you tie me up. You have to make it look real. Anyway, I like being tied up.”

It only took a few minutes, even though Kef didn’t want to do it.

“Smart move kid, shooting the radio. Transmitters and all. Ned told me all about it. He told me you were coming. Son of a bitch. All the idiot brothers in the world and he had to be mine.”

Kef had lost all patience for small talk.

“Clearance?”

“Granted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment